Cocaine FOR Chest Pain

A patient with a history of cocaine abuse, cardiomyopathy with EF 15%, DVT and PE, and noncompliance with Coumadin, is admitted with chest pain and INR 1.0.

Urine toxic screen is positive for cocaine.

"Mr. So-and-so your urine is positive for cocaine."


"You know doctor, my chest was hurting so bad that I took some cocaine to help it."


"This cocaine could have killed you. It's really bad for you..."

"You know, when they discharged me last week, they gave me some of those Coumadin pills in the Lovenox box. Coumadin... Cocaine... may be I got confused..."

Cocaine FOR chest pain? No comments.

Cocaine chest pain. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1994 May;12(2):391-6.
Cocaine-associated Chest Pain. How Common Is Myocardial Infarction? Academic Emergency Medicine Volume 7, Number 8 873-877.
Cocaine-Induced CP with High CK - MI or Rhabdomyolysis?
Cocaine from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note: the story characters may be fictional.

Pulling Teeth. Fat Doctor, 01/2008.
Hugo Chavez: "I chew coca every day." Gadling, 01/2008.

Updated: 01/26/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin