How to make the correct diagnosis?

What helps some doctors make the correct diagnosis after so many have failed before that? Jenny McCarthy shares her experience:

"I didn't know what was going on with my son Evan. Countless doctors and hospitals couldn't get to the bottom of it, and no one could figure out the right diagnosis. Finally, I got an appointment to see the best pediatric neurologist in Los Angeles.

When the door opened and a sweet older man walked in, I immediately felt good. He listened closely but had his eyes on Evan the whole time. I could tell he was evaluating Evan and his bizarre behavior.

He asked me a couple of questions and seemed very peaceful about the whole thing. I was starting to feel more relaxed as he played with Evan, and then he stood up and opened his office door and told his secretary to cancel his next appointment.

He closed the door and pulled his chair up close to mine and put his hand on my hand. He looked at me with sorrowful eyes and said, "I'm sorry, your son has autism."

Read the rest of the story:
Jenny McCarthy: The day I heard my son had autism. CNN, 2007.

Related:
FreeMD: Your virtual doctor. Link via David Rothman.

Updated: 01/29/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment