When Doctors Become Patients

It never rains but it pours. Two of the medical bloggers that I read and another popular blogger became patients seemingly overnight. I join Kevin, M.D. in wishing them a speedy and complete recovery:

Part I: Metamorphosis. Dr. Wes.
Part II: Access. Dr. Wes.
Part III: The Opportunity. Dr. Wes.

From the other side of the sheets. Notes from Dr. RW.

A Few Thoughts on Diverticulitis. WhiteCoat Rants.

I had been a patient myself in the past and still remember vividly how helpless I felt. This experience reinforced my firm belief that, in general sense at least, the patient is always right. Consequently, I often remind the residents and students during attending rounds: "No matter how bad or tired we may feel, the situation is almost always worse on the colder side of the stethoscope" (where the patient is).

Related:
When Doctors Become Patients. NYTimes, 02/2008.
Image source: sxc.hu

Updated: 02/18/2008

1 comment:

  1. "No matter how bad or tired we may feel, the situation is almost always worse on the colder side of the stethoscope"

    That is so true.

    ReplyDelete