Why I Blog: Andrew Sullivan from The Atlantic Shares His Thoughts on Blogging

A few excerpts from Andrew Sullivan's essay are listed below:

"As you read a log, you have the curious sense of moving backward in time as you move forward in pages—the opposite of a book.

The simple experience of being able to directly broadcast my own words to readers was an exhilarating literary liberation.

Within minutes of my posting something, readers responded. They were more brutal than any editor, more persnickety than any copy editor, and more emotionally unstable than any colleague.

The key to understanding a blog is to realize that it’s a broadcast, not a publication. If it stops moving, it dies. If it stops paddling, it sinks.

Even the most careful and self-aware blogger will reveal more about himself than he wants to in a few unguarded sentences and publish them before he has the sense to hit Delete.

When readers of my blog bump into me in person, they invariably address me as Andrew. Print readers don’t do that. It’s Mr. Sullivan to them.

What endures is a human brand."

Dave Walker from We Blog Cartoons on blogging:



References:

Why I Blog. Andrew Sullivan, The Atlantic.
Why I blog? Life in the fast lane, 2010.
As A Busy Physician, Why Do I Even Bother Blogging? http://goo.gl/fSF3 - Excellent summary.
"One of the best decisions I’ve made in my career was to start a blog and a wiki, leaving a paper trail of ideas" http://bit.ly/GX7Z6C
Updated: 07/14/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment