Obama proposing a massive effort to to make all health records standardized and electronic

From CNN:

- Obama proposing a massive effort to to make all health records standardized and electronic, to create 212,000 jobs

- Only 8% of the nation's 5,000 hospitals and 17% of its 800,000 physicians currently use EMR

- "Universal" EMR could cost at least $75 billion to $100 billion over the ten years

From Twitter:

Jeff Benabio
dermdoc @AllergyNotes I use only electronic medical records in my practice. I love it. Medicine is the last luddite.


Jeff Benabio
dermdoc @AllergyNotes In my experience, docs who took good notes on paper take good notes electronically. Those who wrote worthless notes, still do.


Deducting from my extensive experience with EMR (electronic medical records), I believe it has advantages and disadvantages like any product. For example, some users are prone to abusing the system by copy-pasting, using "canned" templates that change very little with individual patients, etc. However, overall the EMR is a much better solution than paper documentation.

References:
Obama's big idea: Digital health records. CNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment