Weighing a third more than the optimum shortens life span by about three years. The lowest mortality rate is for people with a body mass index (BMI) of 22.5-25
Each additional increase of 5 in the BMI translated into:
- 30% increase in any cause of death
- 40% increase in death from heart disease, stroke
- 60-120% increase in death from diabetes, kidney and liver disease
- 10% increase in death from cancer
- 20% increase in death from lung disease
Being Overweight Shortens Life Span. WebMD.
Image source: Wikipedia, public domain.