- U.S. tea imports increased 7% in 2008, as people responded to the perceived health benefits of green tea. U.S. imports of traditional tea -- black, white, green and oolong -- grew by 3-5% per year over the past decade http://is.gd/omUr
- Americans' diet - we get 7% of our calories from soft drinks, top food group by caloric intake is “sweets” http://is.gd/onT2
- Scary headline of the day: Red meat raises risk of all kinds of death. 11% of deaths in men and 16% of deaths in women could be prevented if people decreased their red meat consumption. http://is.gd/oCZP
- 1 in 5 Americans has high triglycerides, the percentage had doubled over the past 30 years, driven by obesity http://is.gd/oD0T
- Another descriptive health news headline: "Red-faced Asian drinkers at esophageal cancer risk" http://is.gd/oD1a - Reuters can do better... 30% of East Asians - Chinese, Japanese, Koreans - have an enzyme deficiency that causes flushing when they drink alcohol. This is the source: The Alcohol Flushing Response: An Unrecognized Risk Factor for Esophageal Cancer from Alcohol Consumption http://is.gd/oD7B
- Robin Williams' heart surgery for aortic valve replacement goes 'extremely well' at Cleveland Clinic http://is.gd/oD5P
- ABC video: Tweeting brain surgery http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v... - Somehow, it doesn't sound too appealing...
- Furious Rabies after an Atypical Exposure: 2 patients developed rabies after butchering and consuming a dog or a cat. http://is.gd/oD7y
- Two thousand Pakistani women in four years were victims of "honour" killings, according to a study linked in BMJ. One in five homicides in Pakistan may be so called honour killings, main reason was alleged extramarital relationships http://is.gd/oD7A
- Advanced Paternal Age Is Associated with Impaired Neurocognitive Outcomes during Infancy and Childhood http://is.gd/oD7E
Health News of the Day
Health News of the Day is a daily summary made from the selected links I post on Twitter. It is in a bullet points format with links to the original sources which include 350 RSS feeds that produce about 2,500 items per day.