- Reduction of blood pressure by eating 6 grams of dark chocolate per day. Probably due to the flavonol epicatechin
- Reduction of platelet and endothelial cell activation
- Reduction of inflammatory mediators
- It can also inhibit oral caries
- It can cross the blood brain barrier and increase cerebral blood flow in humans
From Writer's Almanac:
Ode to Chocolate by Barbara Crooker (excerpt)
I hate milk chocolate, don't want clouds
of cream diluting the dark night sky,
don't want pralines or raisins, rubble
in this smooth plateau. I like my coffee
black, my beer from Germany, wine
from Burgundy, the darker, the better.
The Essence of Chocolate. Dr Shock MD PhD, 2010.
Chocolate could lower blood pressure but the required dose may be too much - BMJ http://goo.gl/uoBN
Chocolate linked to substantial reduction in risk of cardiometabolic disorders but evidence not of best quality. BMJ, 2011.
Photo Essay: Making Chocolate in Belize http://goo.gl/2DPi
Image source: Wikipedia, public domain.