U.S. May Face Shortage of 150,000 Doctors in 15 Years

As ranks of insured patients expand, the U.S. may face shortage of 150,000 doctors in 15 years, according to the WSJ. That shortfall is predicted despite a push by teaching hospitals and medical schools to boost the number of U.S. doctors, which now totals about 954,000.

The greatest demand will be for primary-care physicians. These general practitioners, internists, family physicians and pediatricians will have a larger role under the new law, coordinating care for each patient.

Comments from Twitter:

@doctorwes Foreign docs are lining up.

@jmphillips Once I get into medical school, I should be OK!

@ddrullinsky ok Dr. Dimov, I'm on my way to help! thanks for posting my tweet! I hope to be there next year! Great blog BTW!

@a_singledrop but # of US residency spots remains flat. Why's this ok?

@drsteventucker I'm still not moving back!

References:
U.S. Faces Shortage of Doctors - WSJ.com.
Image source: sxc.hu

No comments:

Post a Comment