This study from Germany included 633 students.
Use of computer games was found to be negatively related to all personality and mental health variables: self-esteem, extraversion, narcissism, life satisfaction, social support and resilience.
The use of platforms that focus more on written interaction (Twitter, Tumblr) was linked to depression, anxiety, and stress symptoms.
In contrast, Instagram use, which focuses more on photo-sharing, was linked to positive mental health variables.
The major 5 personality factors are abbreviated in the acronyms OCEAN or CANOE:
- Openness to experience (inventive/curious vs. consistent/cautious)
- Conscientiousness (efficient/organized vs. extravagant/careless)
- Extraversion (outgoing/energetic vs. solitary/reserved)
- Agreeableness (friendly/compassionate vs. challenging/callous)
- Neuroticism (sensitive/nervous vs. resilient/confident)
What does media use reveal about personality and mental health? An exploratory investigation among German students http://bit.ly/2nxE7ef