Neighborhood Determinants of Quality of Life - street lighting, sidewalks, trees, absence of air or noise pollution

This paper analyzed quality of life in Uruguay. Differences in overall happiness can be explained by access to public goods.

Neighborhood Determinants of Quality of Life included:

- access to electricity, running water, sewage system, drainage, waste disposal system
- street lighting
- sidewalks in good condition
- trees in the street - "forest bathing" (exposure to parks and forests) may increase immunity
- absence of air or noise pollution


Based on research, Mike Cadogan summarized happiness in just 4 ideas - repeat every morning: "I'm happy, I'm hopeful about the future, I enjoy life, and I feel I'm just as good as other people."

References:

Neighborhood Determinants of Quality of Life. NĂ©stor Gandelman, Giorgina Piani and Zuleika Ferre. Journal of Happiness Studies, 2011.
Image source: OpenClipArt.org, public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment