The longevity of a rock singer

Here is Ian Gillan (age 67) from Deep Purple in a recent interview:

You have been screaming rock music for over 40 years. How do you do it?

I think it’s quite natural, I do a lot of it, and so I keep myself fairly fit. My mates who were singers they quit to enjoy their success or raise families and they didn’t continue. Then they tried to come back years later but it was very difficult because vocal cords, unlike guitar strings, are unforgiving, you can’t change them. So I think I’ve been singing all my life, and therefore I’m pretty much fit, so to speak. Most things are within my scope, I sing pretty naturally so it’s not a strain, never has been.

Here is Deep Purple with Maybe I'm a Leo, Mainz, Germany, July 2011:



This is the same band 40 years ago, in 1972:



I have been to two concerts of Deep Purple, the last one was in June 2011 and it was quite impressive. The audience age ranged from 5 to 75 and everyone rose to their feet to the sound of Smoke on the Water.

Here is Mick Jagger on staying fit: "You watch what you eat, you exercise, you have a bit of fun. You keep on going forward. Don’t stop. Do what makes you happy. Don’t look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today. That’s it."

Why aging rock stars still tour: "Once the lights go down and the crowds roar, something magical happens. All your aches and pains go". -- Rick Parfitt: Status Quo have to keep rocking to pay the bills | Music | Entertainment | Daily Express http://buff.ly/1gxTM5G

References:

Deep Purple but no blues: US legends top Dubai jazz festival line-up | Al Bawaba http://buff.ly/V520RZ

Mick Jagger's new supergroup with Joss Stone and Dave Stewart. DailyMail.

Redefining age 65 - when your job description is "rockstar"

No comments:

Post a Comment