Start a Blog on WordPress.com - Free

I just got my invitation to open a new blog hosted on WordPress.com. This is different from uploading the WordPress software on your own server. WordPress.com hosts you blog for free in the same as Blogger.com does. It would be interesting to compare the two services and I am sure that Robert Scoble will do it soon.

The WordPress blog looks pretty good although I am already used to posting on Blogger/Blogspot and therefore a bit biased. I do not see an easy way to edit the template though and this is one of the things I like most about Blogger.com.

Robert Scoble is moving his blog (with tens of thousand of subscribers) to WordPress.com, although he decided to use another blogging platform, DABU.com concurrently. I already tried DABU, it looks nice - a lot of AJAX, and they do not require an invite to open a blog. DABU has just a hundred or so hosted blogs though.

As you probably know, the key with the free website hosts is to choose one that is not going to go bankrupt and disappear in a few years. It looks like Google will soon own our world (a joke... :-), so I guess that a Blogspot-hosted blog will be a safe place for a foreseeable future. Google owns Blogger/Blogspot.

Bloggoing.com also offers free Wordpress 2.0.

References:
Choose a Free Blogging Platform - Check Out Opera Blogs
New URL appears on DABU, WordPress still in the hunt too - Scobleizer
Time to check: Are you using the right blogging tool? - USC Annenberg Online Journalism Review
Image source: WordPress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment