Learning that you will need surgery can prompt many questions and a lot of anxiety. Beyond details about your procedure, what else should you ask your surgeon before the operation? Mayo Clinic's Robert Cima, M.D., a colon and rectal surgeon and chair of Mayo's surgical quality subcommittee, suggests adding these questions to your list:
· Are you board-certified to perform this procedure?
· Will it help if I lose weight before the operation?
· Does it matter if I'm a smoker?
· What if I have sleep apnea?
· Is there anything we can do to get me out of the hospital faster?